Green divider A Brief History of Cam Parish

The Parish of Cam lies in the Vale of Gloucester, south of Gloucester, north of Bristol and close to the market town of Dursley.

The first written record of Cam is in the Doomsday book 1086-90, the original spelling was "Camma", Celtic and pre-Christian in origin, possibly meaning river in the valley. It is thought to have been the oldest village in the district.

Its history is closely associated with the woolen industry, with several old mills still in existence (although only one still manufactures woollen cloth). There has been considerable residential development from the middle of the twentieth century and Cam is now a thriving community with a population of approximately 8,500 people, represented by a Parish Council with 15 members.

logocam

The Origin of the Council's Chain of Office

Showing the stylistic drawing that was accepted by Cam Parish Council designed by Cllr David A Winsor, and from which consequently the parish chain of office was designed.

Hanging Fleece To show Cam's past dependence on the wool industry and farming.
The mill representing the five mills in the Cam Valley, Little Combe Mill, Cam Mill, Middle Mill, Draycott Mill and Halmore Mill.
Bible To denote the association of William Tyndale with the Cam area.
Cross Representing the church.
River Helped to bring prosperity to Cam.

The top half of the design represents Cam's outstanding landmark, Cam Peak.